INDIANAPOLIS – (Oct. 11, 2016) Executive Director Blake Boldon is leaving Beyond Monumental at the end of November to accept a position as the associate athletic director in charge of the Drake Relays at Drake University. The Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa, are considered one of the top track and field events in the United States.
“Blake has contributed immeasurably to Beyond Monumental and to the CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon over his short four-year tenure,” said Katherine Coble, president of the Beyond Monumental board of directors. “We are very sad to see him leave, but we are thankful for his passion, vision and the way he has helped grow Beyond Monumental into a premier national event and the best marathon in the state of Indiana.”
The Monumental was first run in 2008 and has grown exponentially in its first eight years. The ninth running occurs this year on November 5 and is expected to attract up to 19,000 participants.
Now one of the 20 largest marathons in the US, the CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon is the ideal fall marathon for everyone from the first time marathon runner to elite athletes. Nationally recognized as flat and fast, this event has hosted Olympians, PR seekers, and thousands of Boston Marathon qualifiers.
As a 501(c)3 non profit, the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon has donated more than $825,000 to support local public education and serve the mission of educating Indianapolis youth on the benefits of exercise, proper diet and healthy living.
The CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon has sold out for the past four consecutive years and is expected to sell out again in 2016.
When Boldon began in 2012, he started as a single employee for the November race and helped build it into today’s non-profit organization with six staff members that hosts the Monumental Mile in June, the Indianapolis Half Marathon and 5K in October and the CNO Financial Indianapolis Marathon, Half Marathon, 5K and Kids Fun Run in November. Additionally, under Boldon’s leadership, the organization rebranded its parent organization into Beyond Monumental, to better reflect its other initiatives, which include:
- The Monumental Kids Movement, a nine-week youth running program in 50+ schools across the Indianapolis Public Schools, Lawrence Township and Wayne Township school districts
- The Apex Monumental Challenge, an employer-based wellness initiative that incentivizes employees to get active by running, walking or volunteering at Beyond Monumental events
- INDYTHON, a unique opportunity for participants to celebrate finishing the two definitive fall running events, the Indianapolis Half Marathon & 5K and the CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K on Saturday
- A special partnership with Teachers’ Treasures to create the Teachers’ Treasures Monumental Matchup, an inter-school competition to build awareness of its event and distribute more school supplies to the winning locations
- In 2015 the CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon led as a founding member of the USA Today Sports Active Alliance, a robust network of the finest full and half marathons across America
“With passionate leadership, Blake greatly expanded the mission of the organization by working closely with the Board of Directors and the Indianapolis community, including public schools, civic leaders and businesses,” said Carlton Ray, founder of the race. “His creative vision, his capability to motivate outstanding team members and work closely with the Board of Directors makes Blake Boldon truly the best of the best.”
Boldon will remain at Beyond Monumental through November to ensure the 2016 event weekend is successful. A nationwide search for Boldon’s replacement will begin immediately.
“We have a very talented staff and board of directors who will continue to move our organization forward,” Coble said. “Most people think of us as an event organizer for a major event in November, but we have year-round activities in the schools and communities, and we’ll continue to move those forward with the same excellence and dedication that we have always displayed.”
Interested candidates will find more information on the Beyond Monumental website after October 15, at http://ift.tt/2e0WvFP.
The post Beyond Monumental Director Blake Boldon to Leave Organization for Drake Relays appeared first on Endurance Sportswire.
from Endurance Sportswire http://ift.tt/2e0YXfg